Around the bend is the future

Friday, May 6, 2011

favorite spot …so far

I am in Flagstaff. This area is a good jumping off point for both the Grand Canyon/75 miles. And Sedona, 25 miles. So Yesterday I went to the GC for the day. It was EXHAUSTING! I got a late start because I wanted to go to a whole foods type store to stock up. So by the time I got there it was about 12:30 pm
The park was over run with people. Mostly they were from other countries, especially Japan. And when you get into the park, they have buses that take you to the look out points. They run every 15 mins, which is great. It was ok, but I think I would rather come in the dead of winter, less people more dramatic.

Today is Sedona. I have wanted to see this area for a long time, as I had seen photographs of it.
Sedona more than lived up to my expectations. It is a beautiful, very clean magical place. First thing I did is stop in a tourist info center in the town of Oakwood[a suburb of Sedona] and the girl told me I HAVE to see Cathedral Rock and she gives me a map. When I got there there was a trail that takes you up for the best photographs. So dummy that I am I take the hike. 1 1/2 hrs later I got to the top, my mouth felt like the Sahara and my back screaming VICODIN!! [yes I did take water but it was hot]
After I finally stumbled down I needed a drink!
Next I went to the Chapel of the Holy Cross. A VERY famous Catholic church built into the rock mountain. I had seen photographs of this church years ago and was really excited about seeing it in person. More climbing but worth it to see the inside. It was very beautiful and very small.
While I was inside, a young girl [about 13] and her mother come into the church. The girl was wearing a 2 piece bathing suit and flip flops. No really. You cant go into a 711 without a shirt, but these 2 thought nothing of walking around as though it was a beach shack. Then to make it even worse her friend comes in and they start flicking Holy Water at each other. It was disturbing at the least. Being a practicing Catholic, it was like they had just urinated on the alter. I assume they were literally raised in a barn.
Who does that?? If that was a Mosque they would have been handed their heads [really!]

After that I really needed a drink. So I went into the downtown of Sedona, and ate a buffalo burger at the Cowboy Club. And I could imagine myself living here. There is something special about the area.
Nice homes, lots of shops and high end stores. Beautiful scenery. Great weather. Lots of money. The only thing lacking was water [I am an Island girl at heart.]
But we shall see...

No comments:

Post a Comment