Around the bend is the future

Wednesday, May 4, 2011

Mexican Hat

What can you say about being in the middle of no where. Well, it is dramatic and wind swept and hot.
I actually saw tumble weeds! Really, from an east coast girl who never saw a farm animal till the age of 20,
That was right out of a wild west movie. The canyons and mountains are all red.Just breathtaking.
But it is wreaking havoc on my sinus. Who said move out west where it is dry and you wont have sinus problems? I am drinking water like a camel. You can tell when your lips dry out that water is depleted.
Mexican Hat is a very small town on the edge of Utah and Arizona, Navajo nation here.Must be 20 people living here! But the hotel, Hat Rock Inn was really nice, with a view of the river and mountains.
Monument valley is about 15 miles from here, and is owned by the Navajo's.
The 17 mile drive once you pay $5.00, is very rough, with gravel and pot holes.
You can drive by yourself, or take the tour, which cost $65. I opted to drive myself. It wasn't bad. As a matter of fact I did it twice. My Honda Element rocks! And by going in the morning and the evening, the lighting was different.
There is 2 restaurants & one gas station in town. Gas here is $4.10, 44 cents of that is state tax.
No wonder no one lives here.
On to Page Arizona...

No comments:

Post a Comment